Cleanings For Kids
Professional cleanings performed by a hygienist or dental assistant are important to your child's dental health as well as daily brushing and flossing. Using specialized tools and kid-friendly language, we will:
- Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. (Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease, and gingivitis.)
- Remove tartar from teeth surfaces. (Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become so hardened on the teeth that its removal requires special procedures. Tartar below the gum line is also an indicator of gum disease, and generally appears on older children and adults.)
- Remove surface stains from teeth through polishing.
- Help with brushing and flossing techniques, and encouraging healthy eating habits at home to promote good oral development.
- After a thorough cleaning, we will apply flouride varnish or topical flouride to help your child's teeth grow healthy and strong!
Regular examinations help detect and prevent health issues before they become serious. Twice yearly dental check-ups help catch problems when they are small and easier to treat. Left unattended, small treatable problems become worse and may require more extensive, expensive procedures to repair. Dental examinations in our office generally include the following:
- Digital x-rays to assess proper tooth development and healthy eruption of primary and permanent teeth.
- Head, neck, and mouth visual examination
- Thorough examination of the teeth, looking for areas of decay, teeth that will be exfoliating (coming out soon), future orthodontic needs, and any treatment diagnosis.
Digital X-rays Advantage
Digital X-rays have several advantages over traditional film based X-rays:
- They emit up to 90% less radiation
- They are ready for examination nearly instantly
- They can be viewed on a computer screen
- Their image can be refined and enlarged
- They are greener; no chemicals are needed for processing
The Happy Visit
We encourage all children who are new to our practice, whether other family members are already patients, to come visit us for free. Please call to schedule an appointment. Please call to schedule a happy visit during regular office hours, and tell all of your friends and family!
Check out this fun and informative website: My Children's Teeth